Sunday 7 May 2017

Take advantage of opportunities

Just thought I’d share this as a reminder for myself and for you… 😊

When I first discovered my faith I was eager to put it into practice. I wanted to apply everything I had learnt into my life. It was easy yet hard at times but my path was always clear. If I was confused about something, I’d read up on it. I’d ask students of knowledge or du’at for answers to my thousand and one queries. I’d be present in the company of practicing sisters and would occasionally seek a boost in emaan via lectures/Qur’an and even anashid. I’d be surrounded by a community of Muslims, keeping up with all the local events. Following Islam was simple and straightforward.

But there was something I was never quite educated on; what would happen if all of these things were taken away? If I no longer had access to Islamic texts, writings or articles. If I no longer had access to any articles, in fact. What would happen if I’d be surrounded by kuffar (non Muslims), if I had to live by their side, wake up with them, eat with them, share the shower with them and so on. If they were my only source of human company. What’d happen if I didn’t have a single practicing sister around? If I didn’t have that heart to lean on and couldn’t seek sincere advice when my emaan would shake? If I was surrounded by profane speech and oppressive officers?

What if the only material aspects of my faith I had left was my hijab, my mushaf and prayer mat? What if the only One left for me to confide in, seek support and sustenance from was none other than Allah?

This is the reality of prison, brothers and sisters. It’s hyperbolised to being a place that has many means of increasing ones emaan. The reality is, such means are minimalised but are nonetheless extremely powerful. Prisoners often say “Hasbun Allahu wa ni’mal wa keel” and they really mean it. For there is none other than Allah who could assist them in their daily and nightly needs and worries.
I’m sharing this so that you may start to appreciate the gifts you’re surrounded by. Wallahi, that sister you have or that brother you know that reminds you of Allah and is pleasant to be around is a HUGE blessing. The fact that you’re living with your loved ones is itself, a big blessing. The fact that you have so many opportunities to learn this religion, to study its facets- even in depth, is wallahi such a huge blessing. If you can volunteer to do charitable acts or if you could work and donate a portion of your income to the needy, you have been blessed. You are literally dwelling in a gold mine of opportunities. You’ve been given so many means via which you could seek to attain the pleasure of Allah. Don’t take these opportunities for granted for they can be taken away.

Although prison is as I stated above, Allah, al-Fattah can still grant us opportunities in there, alhamdulillah. In addition, Allah blessed me with the (eventual) company of sisters whom my eyes long to meet again. They are the most beautiful people I know and I can honestly say, I have never met the likes of them in my life so far. May Allah protect them and their families.

Allahumma afrij ‘anh li jamee’ al mu’taqaleen fi kulli makaan

No comments:

Post a Comment

~*A lesson about Ramadan in prison*~

Ramadan is always a special time of the year. Even in prison. Although I was separated from sisters throughout my incarceration, we still m...